- Roz’s blog
- THE NOVEL
- Who’s Roz?
Posts Tagged playwright
Before words. Before thought or language. My guest this week spends his professional life challenged by the reflexes and intricacies of the long-ago brain. By day he is an anaesthetist; an inducer of sleep and guardian of the unconscious. Sometimes that’s more eventful than you’d think. By night he is a poet and a playwright. His latest book fuses night and day in a memoir of his profession. He is Wolf Pascoe and he will be sharing his Undercover Soundtrack here on Wednesday.
anaesthesia, anaesthetics, anaesthetist, authors, Desert Island Discs, drama, entertainment, fuses, inducer, intricacies, literature, male writers, medical doctors, medicine, music, music for writers, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, operative surgery, pascoe, physicians, playlist for writers, playwright, poet, professional life, reflexes, Roz Morris, surgery, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, Wolf Pascoe, writers, writing, writing to music
My guest this week is another of those enviably talented writers who is as happy playing a set of strings as a qwerty keyboard. Not only that, he is a playwright and an experimental performing artiste. He says his various novels correspond to musical genres and he often composes a soundtrack before he starts writing. Beyond his own compositions, many of his favourite musicians help to set the tone and create the atmosphere, and some of them end up as cameos in the story. And what a story – the book he describes as his ‘blues novel’ features hellhounds in suits and resurrected loves. He is Nathan Singer, and he’ll be here on Wednesday with the Undercover Soundtrack to Chasing The Wolf.
authors, blues, blues novel, cameos, Chasing The Wolf, composer, contemporary fiction, Desert Island Discs, drama, entertainment, hellhounds, literary fiction, literary novels, music, music for writers, music for writing, musical genres, musicians, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, Nathan Singer, novel features, playlist for writers, playwright, qwerty keyboard, Roz Morris, talented writers, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, writers, writing to music
My guest this week has always made up lyrics, whether alternate versions of existing songs or not-terribly-serious inventions of her own. She says she wishes life was more like a musical, where people might burst out singing if the fancy takes them. Her deep-held belief that life should be lived with lusty vocals led to a collaboration with a theatre group for adults with learning disabilities, and, by circular means, a novel that commemorates the experience – A Week With No Labels. She is screenwriter, playwright and novelist Cally Phillips and she’ll be here on Wednesday with her very individual Undercover Soundtrack.
A Week With No Labels, adults with learning disabilities, alternate versions, authors, Authors Electric, Cally Phillips, comedy, contemporary fiction, Desert Island Discs, Do Authors Dream of Electric Books, drama, entertainment, learning disabilities theatre group, music, music for writers, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, novelist, playlist for writers, playwright, Roz Morris, The Undercover Soundtrack, theatre group, undercover soundtrack, Women Writers, writers, writing, writing to music
- The Undercover Soundtrack is a series where writers - and occasionally other arty folk - reveal how music shapes their work.
- It began as a companion to my first novel, My Memories of a Future Life, and now thrives as a creative salon in its own right. Pull on your headphones and join us.
- If you're curious about the novel that started it all, click the image below.
- Join 15,015 other subscribers
Kobo featured book, London Book Fair 2013
Seal of Excellence for Outstanding Independent Fiction, Awesome Indies 2013
Underground Book Reviews Top Summer Read 2012
League of Extraordinary Authors Top 10 Indie Elite 2012
Multi-Story Pick of the Month March and October 2012
Alliance of Independent Authors Book of the Month, January 2013
Email merozmorriswriter at gmail dot com
- All content copyright Roz Morris 2011-2022. Nothing may be reproduced without my express permission in writing beforehand. Photography: Bonnie Schupp Photography, gcg2009 and Roz Morris
What is The Undercover Soundtrack?Sleeve notes here
For the soundtrack of My Memories of a Future Life, you'll need Chopin's Sonata in B Minor, Rachmaninov preludes, lashings of Grieg's piano concerto in A minor and The Clash's Rock the Kasbah (they go together well).
You'll also need Samuel Barber's Dover Beach on piano, although that doesn't actually exist so do the best you can.
And the novel's undercover pieces. You can find them here
- What's on their soundtracks? Zip down to the footer and you can search by artiste or composer. See who shares your taste in inspirational music
Find something unforgettable
Sign up for my newsletter
- 'My Memories of a Future Life is a poignant story steeped with melancholy, edged with a desperate hope, and twisted throughout with darkness and humor'
- 'Some of the sharpest writing I've read in a long while'
- 'The feel of a modern-day witch trial with a tense romance'
- 'Clever when you think about it afterwards; haunting and engrossing while you're reading'
- Join 15,015 other subscribers